NOTE: This recipe makes two pot pies! I double the recipe to make 4 and share/freeze them for us and family or friends.
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (I do carrots, peas, corn, green beans)
⅓ cup butter or margarine
½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup whole or evaporated milk
2 cups roasted chicken, chopped
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked and chopped russet potatoes
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
4 unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
To Make the Filling
1. Sauté butter and onion in large skillet
2. Boil chopped russet potatoes for 12 -15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Roast (or buy) a chicken using herbs and spices that are soft (Rosemary, thyme, etc)
4. Go back to skillet and add flour and stir until mixed and smooth.
5. Add broth and milk. Keep on medium and stir with whisk slowly until it bubbles and is thick (about 10-15 minutes).
6. Mix in chicken, frozen veggies, salt, and pepper, and potatoes.
7. Let cool completely
8. Place pie crust in pans. Fill and then top with a second crust. Fold edges under and crimp. Poke slits in the top.
To bake now: 375 degrees for 30
Minutes; then let cool for 10.
To freeze: prepare same as above- cover with foil and place in freezer. When ready to cook it can go straight to the oven from frozen. Bake at 375 for 75 minutes.